By Mary Brooks, APRN, Couture Med Spa Winter Park
I’m sure you have heard this one before: You can tell a person’s age by looking at their hands. Not true.
Let’s start with the negative. Yes, as we age, hands start to lose volume. This can make veins, tendons, and bones more prominent and result in an almost skeletal appearance. So many people are not happy with the way their hands look. It is very common for people to complain about age spots, wrinkly skin, or dehydrated-looking hands.
However, with new advances in anti-aging treatments and products, this doesn’t have to be the case any longer. There are several things we can do to diminish the signs of aging on our hands including laser treatments, light therapy, skincare products, and even hyaluronic acid filler treatments.
A fractional laser is a great tool for younger-looking hands. The fractional laser is a revolutionary non-ablative laser therapy designed to dramatically improve skin texture and pigmentation, including the treatment of fine lines, wrinkles, acne scars, surgical scars, brown spots, melasma, and stretch marks without significant downtime. This treatment helps to reduce the signs of aging by increasing collagen production and plumping the skin. Plus, it is safe for all skin types!
INTENSE PULSED LIGHT THERAPY (IPL)
IPL, also known as a photofacial is a light therapy that treats pigmented lesions (darker discoloration) and vascular lesions (broken capillaries) on the skin. IPL reduces sunspots, age spots, liver spots, senile lentigo, freckles, broken capillaries, cherry angiomas, rosacea, and other skin pigmentation and vascular disorders. IPL is a great treatment for the hands, but is not for clients with darker complexions or melasma.
Although we all know the importance of sun protection, so many of us neglect sunscreen for our hands. Unfortunately, this is the part of the body that gets the most exposure year-round.
Just think, if you subjected the skin on your face to the same things the skin on your hands deal with, your face would be pretty damaged. Other than wrinkles, hands develop sunspots very easily. Not to mention that as you get older, scars on your hands don’t heal as quickly. The best thing you can do for your hands is to provide them with the same protection you give your face daily, SPF. You already lug around a hand cream, so it may as well work for your sun protection, too. Remember, nothing looks better in your 50s than sunscreen in your 20s.
HYALURONIC ACID FILLER
Hand fillers are a form of treatment that can be used to effectively reverse the signs of aging. Fillers generally involve a substance injected into the back of the hands to replace the tissue that is lost due to aging.
The most common type of hand filler is the hyaluronic acid dermal filler which contains a gel composed of substances that are naturally found in the body. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently approved Restylane Lyft, a hyaluronic acid filler, for use in the hands. It’s the first and only hyaluronic acid injectable gel to be FDA approved for an area other than the face.
Remember that your hands shouldn’t only be washed, they should be cared for. Taking preventative steps and seeking proper treatment can help you have youthful-looking hands for years to come. Let us help you design the right plan to fit your needs, contact your nearest Couture Med Spa today!
By Tiffany M. Darnold, MMS, PA-C, Couture Med Spa Oviedo
1. Dear Fat, Prepare to Die. Love, Trusculpt
- After having my two beautiful daughters, I thought it was impossible to improve my post-baby mommy belly! Even though I tried to eat healthily and do crazy workouts (like HIIT and various boot camps), I just couldn’t find the time every week with the demanding needs of my children and husband – aka my big kid. Once I finally got my husband to agree to watch the girls during my workouts, I still had tummy fat that would not go away. As soon as I found the best-kept secret, I finally began to see results!
- The easiest way to eliminate your excess stubborn fat and lose those inches is to do a few quick sessions of Trusculpt. Each session takes just under an hour, making it a convenient, noninvasive option for fat loss. Most clients report seeing results after the second treatment! We suggest 2-3 treatments about 4-6 weeks apart for your ideal results, depending on how much fat is present. Trusculpt works by safely using radiofrequency and heat to lyse the cell, therefore permanently destroying the fat cell. The best part is that it continues to work for up to 12 weeks!
- An added benefit is that it can help retighten the skin—bringing your belly to its former glory. This also prevents any unwanted sagging skin that is usually left behind with other procedures such as Liposuction or CoolSculpting. Why go under the knife when there is now newer, more effective technology available?! Get your pre-baby bod back just in time for Summer!
My heart says chocolate and wine, but my jeans say, for the love of God woman, just Trusculpt it!
2. Kybella isn’t just for chins!
- Here’s a fun fact about me: I can be impatient, especially when it comes to fat loss! That is why I love Kybella so much: it offers fast results with virtually no downtime.
- Have you ever heard of Kybella to improve your double chin? Well, Kybella can also help treat other areas of stubborn fat on your body (ask us about Bellybella, Brabella, or Thighbella!)
- Kybella permanently destroys fat cells, allowing your body’s natural metabolism to process the waste. This process clears the fat from the treatment area and helps tighten the surrounding skin. The active ingredient in Kybella is synthetic deoxycholic acid, a naturally occurring molecule in the body that helps break down fat.
- I recommend starting with two treatment sessions about six weeks apart and then reevaluate if more are needed. Most clients only need two sessions to get desired results with a few days of downtime due to swelling. Call to set up your FREE consultation today with me at Couture Med Spa in Oviedo!
Watch out world… New Body Under Construction!
3. Skinny Energy Shot
- Let’s face it—after a long day at work, having the energy to be ‘Super Mom’ when you get home can be tough. If your house is like mine, kids are climbing all over you the moment you walk through the door. At a certain point, coffee does not cut it anymore. I’m here to tell you there’s a better way! After routinely getting Skinny Energy Shot injections, I finally wake up not feeling groggy and have the energy to get through my day. Couture’s Skinny Energy Shot consists of B12 and other B vitamins essential to help boost your metabolism and give you more energy to help you lose weight. That is a win-win for me…one point for mommy!
Fall in love with taking care of yourself!
- Doing Trusculpt does not mean you should forget about exercise all together. Exercising is healthy for the mind, body, and soul. It also helps your body eliminate the free-floating fat after Trusculpt has lysed the fat cells. When it comes to physical activity, consistency is so important. That’s why I recommend finding an activity that you can bring yourself to do at the end of a long day. My favorite exercise routine consists of cardio from rollerblading, full-body strengthening with various kettlebell exercises, and a good pre/post workout yoga session. Rollerblading is something I enjoy and look forward to; it also happens to be a great way to stay in shape! Find the activity you love doing, make it part of your self-care routine, and exercise will never feel like a chore!
- Tiffany’s Tip: Use your children for added weight to help tone your muscles while working out.
Remember, sweat is your fat crying!
5. Eating Healthy
- Just because you now look amazing doesn’t mean you can eat junk! Treat yourself to a healthy lifestyle and feel great for life. Instead of eliminating certain things because of the latest fad diet, eat in moderation. Being mindful about the food you eat doesn’t mean you should shock your body by drastically changing your diet. In my experience, that approach isn’t sustainable and can end up doing long-term damage to your body and mindset around eating. Above all, listen to your body. There’s no such thing as a one size fits all approach to dieting. If you feel sluggish or tired after eating, then reevaluate what/how you ate.
Love your body with mindful eating habits.
- Did you know that our body is made up of about 60% water? I recommend drinking 8-10 glasses a water per day to help flush out free-floating fat after the fat cells have been lysed from your body after your Trusculpt treatment. This way, you can help to eliminate more fat faster! For every 8oz of caffeinated beverage you consume, remember to drink two glasses of water (instead of 1) to replace the water you lose. Caffeine is a diuretic, so it’s important to rehydrate after your daily coffee break!
The best project you will ever work on is you. Do it for the after selfie!