Learn why only wearing sunscreen when you’re in the sun is like flossing only after you eat candy.
By Sara Katan APRN, Couture Med Spa Ocoee
Some of us remember the days when we had no idea how much the sun can damage our skin. Baby oil and iodine “sunbaking” were all the rage. We thought, “the more sun, the better.” How many of you, like myself, are guilty of visiting the tanning bed almost daily to keep pale skin from looking “see-through”?
Now that I work in the skincare industry, I’m almost disgusted by my former behaviors and have already started to see the repercussions. My freckles are becoming a little larger and more noticeable and my once silky-smooth skin is starting to look a little more textured. Yikes!
Now, I understand that the foundation of a good skincare regimen is not necessarily the most expensive retinol cream, the best Vitamin C Serum, or even the most expensive laser (although they help a ton). Good skincare starts with the basics: Good sunscreen! And not only for those beach days, but every day!
What is Sunscreen, Really?
The answer may seem obvious. Sunscreen protects the skin from the sun. But you may find yourself asking:
- What is sunscreen really protecting me from and how does it work?
- Which is the right sunblock for me?
- What ingredients should I be looking for to get the best protection?
These are all common questions clients ask me regarding their skincare. Thankfully, they have some fairly simple answers.
What are UV rays?
Ultraviolet (UV) light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is emitted from the sun. The two main types to worry about are the Ultraviolet A (UVA) and Ultraviolet B (UVB) rays. Most of our sun exposure involves UVA rays. The energy in UVA rays can cause skin cells to age and indirect damage to the cells’ DNA. They are also linked to long term skin damage.
In non-science terms: sunscreen protects you against those damaging sun rays! Sunscreens are a practical approach to protection for your skin. You don’t need to spend long periods of time in the sun to be impacted by UV rays. So the importance of beginning sun protection at a young age cannot be emphasized enough.
What are the Different Types of Sunscreen?
When choosing a sunscreen, be sure to read the label. Sunscreens with broad-spectrum protection (against both UVA and UVB rays) and with sun protection factor (SPF) values of 30 or higher are recommended.
Many clients ask me about the SPF in sunscreen and what is the best amount. It is important to understand that the higher numbers do not necessarily mean better protection. However, keep in mind that anything under SPF 15 is not going to protect you.
There are two types of sunscreens:
- Physical blockers – block and scatter the rays before they penetrate your skin and contain one of two active ingredients: Zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.
- Chemical blockers – contain chemicals that absorb the sun’s ultraviolet rays and typically include aminobenzoic acid, avobenzone, octisalate, octocrylene, and oxybenzone.
What Kind of Sunscreen Should I Be Using?
The type of sunscreen you choose will really depend on your situation. For your everyday wear, physical sunscreen is great protection against the most harmful rays. The Couture Med Spa’s UltiMATTE Sun-Shade Sunscreen is the perfect sunscreen for your daily wear. It is soft, has a slight tint that can match every skin type, and will have your skin feeling silky smooth.
However, the physical sunscreen that will protect you is not waterproof. If you want to spend the day at the pool or hit the beach, you may want chemical sunscreen — unless you are going to reapply each time the water washes off the product. Couture’s Vitamin C Antioxidant Sunscreen is a great option for protection on those days you may be in water or perspiring a lot. Reapplication every 2 hours is still important for physical and chemical sunscreen, alike.
Keep in mind, while sunscreen is the vital foundation to good skin health and younger-looking skin, it will not protect your skin from the sun’s damaging effects 100 percent. You should avoid the sun when it is at its strongest between 10 am and 4 pm, wear protective clothing and a wide-brimmed hat and seek shade as much as possible — especially in those hot summer months — like right now.
Always remember to be good to your skin. After all, you will wear it every day for the rest of your life!
More info about UV Radiation from The American Cancer Society can be found here.
By Tiffany M. Darnold, MMS, PA-C, Couture Med Spa Oviedo
1. Dear Fat, Prepare to Die. Love, Trusculpt
- After having my two beautiful daughters, I thought it was impossible to improve my post-baby mommy belly! Even though I tried to eat healthily and do crazy workouts (like HIIT and various boot camps), I just couldn’t find the time every week with the demanding needs of my children and husband – aka my big kid. Once I finally got my husband to agree to watch the girls during my workouts, I still had tummy fat that would not go away. As soon as I found the best-kept secret, I finally began to see results!
- The easiest way to eliminate your excess stubborn fat and lose those inches is to do a few quick sessions of Trusculpt. Each session takes just under an hour, making it a convenient, noninvasive option for fat loss. Most clients report seeing results after the second treatment! We suggest 2-3 treatments about 4-6 weeks apart for your ideal results, depending on how much fat is present. Trusculpt works by safely using radiofrequency and heat to lyse the cell, therefore permanently destroying the fat cell. The best part is that it continues to work for up to 12 weeks!
- An added benefit is that it can help retighten the skin—bringing your belly to its former glory. This also prevents any unwanted sagging skin that is usually left behind with other procedures such as Liposuction or CoolSculpting. Why go under the knife when there is now newer, more effective technology available?! Get your pre-baby bod back just in time for Summer!
My heart says chocolate and wine, but my jeans say, for the love of God woman, just Trusculpt it!
2. Kybella isn’t just for chins!
- Here’s a fun fact about me: I can be impatient, especially when it comes to fat loss! That is why I love Kybella so much: it offers fast results with virtually no downtime.
- Have you ever heard of Kybella to improve your double chin? Well, Kybella can also help treat other areas of stubborn fat on your body (ask us about Bellybella, Brabella, or Thighbella!)
- Kybella permanently destroys fat cells, allowing your body’s natural metabolism to process the waste. This process clears the fat from the treatment area and helps tighten the surrounding skin. The active ingredient in Kybella is synthetic deoxycholic acid, a naturally occurring molecule in the body that helps break down fat.
- I recommend starting with two treatment sessions about six weeks apart and then reevaluate if more are needed. Most clients only need two sessions to get desired results with a few days of downtime due to swelling. Call to set up your FREE consultation today with me at Couture Med Spa in Oviedo!
Watch out world… New Body Under Construction!
3. Skinny Energy Shot
- Let’s face it—after a long day at work, having the energy to be ‘Super Mom’ when you get home can be tough. If your house is like mine, kids are climbing all over you the moment you walk through the door. At a certain point, coffee does not cut it anymore. I’m here to tell you there’s a better way! After routinely getting Skinny Energy Shot injections, I finally wake up not feeling groggy and have the energy to get through my day. Couture’s Skinny Energy Shot consists of B12 and other B vitamins essential to help boost your metabolism and give you more energy to help you lose weight. That is a win-win for me…one point for mommy!
Fall in love with taking care of yourself!
- Doing Trusculpt does not mean you should forget about exercise all together. Exercising is healthy for the mind, body, and soul. It also helps your body eliminate the free-floating fat after Trusculpt has lysed the fat cells. When it comes to physical activity, consistency is so important. That’s why I recommend finding an activity that you can bring yourself to do at the end of a long day. My favorite exercise routine consists of cardio from rollerblading, full-body strengthening with various kettlebell exercises, and a good pre/post workout yoga session. Rollerblading is something I enjoy and look forward to; it also happens to be a great way to stay in shape! Find the activity you love doing, make it part of your self-care routine, and exercise will never feel like a chore!
- Tiffany’s Tip: Use your children for added weight to help tone your muscles while working out.
Remember, sweat is your fat crying!
5. Eating Healthy
- Just because you now look amazing doesn’t mean you can eat junk! Treat yourself to a healthy lifestyle and feel great for life. Instead of eliminating certain things because of the latest fad diet, eat in moderation. Being mindful about the food you eat doesn’t mean you should shock your body by drastically changing your diet. In my experience, that approach isn’t sustainable and can end up doing long-term damage to your body and mindset around eating. Above all, listen to your body. There’s no such thing as a one size fits all approach to dieting. If you feel sluggish or tired after eating, then reevaluate what/how you ate.
Love your body with mindful eating habits.
- Did you know that our body is made up of about 60% water? I recommend drinking 8-10 glasses a water per day to help flush out free-floating fat after the fat cells have been lysed from your body after your Trusculpt treatment. This way, you can help to eliminate more fat faster! For every 8oz of caffeinated beverage you consume, remember to drink two glasses of water (instead of 1) to replace the water you lose. Caffeine is a diuretic, so it’s important to rehydrate after your daily coffee break!
The best project you will ever work on is you. Do it for the after selfie!