Erase Your Mistakes: The Do’s and Do Not’s of Tattoo Removal
By Charlotte Federowicz, APRN WHAT tattoos can be removed? WHEN can I have my tattoo removed? HOW frequently can I have my tattoo removed? HOW many sessions will it take to have my tattoo removed? WHAT can I expect at a tattoo removal appointment at CMS? HOW does tattoo removal work? HOW does tattoo removal […]
By Charlotte Federowicz, APRN
WHAT tattoos can be removed?
- Professional tattoos from a licensed professional
- All black and colored professional tattoos can be removed, as well as India ink tattoos.
- Cosmetic tattoos are NOT able to be removed with our RevLite lasers.
- CMS does not remove tattoos located on the front of the neck or on the face.
WHEN can I have my tattoo removed?
- You can remove a brand new tattoo 8 weeks after it was placed to allow for adequate time for skin healing.
HOW frequently can I have my tattoo removed?
- Tattoo removal is recommended every 6 weeks for the most optimal treatment.
HOW many sessions will it take to have my tattoo removed?
- Each individualized tattoo will vary on how many treatments it will take.
- Results vary, but can take anywhere from 6-16 sessions for a tattoo to be completely cleared.
- Tattoos containing light blues, greens, and reds fade more gradually and can take longer to be removed.
- Various factors come into play when determining the number of treatments needed, including the depth of the tattoo ink, amount of ink, whether it was covered with another tattoo, color of ink, skin tone, and age of tattoo. For example, a 10-week old, all black chest tattoo may require a lot fewer sessions than a colored, 13-year old ankle tattoo.
WHAT can I expect at a tattoo removal appointment at CMS?
- There will be an initial 45-minute consultation where we will collect medical history, take photos of the tattoo, and ask questions about the tattoo itself. After the initial visit, the appointments for tattoo removal will be 30 minutes.
- Topical prescription numbing cream is applied to the tattoo site.
- The client will wear protective eyewear during the laser treatment.
HOW does tattoo removal work?
- The RevLite laser sends wavelengths through the skin to break up the tattoo pigment, which is then absorbed into the body and naturally eliminated by the lymphatic system.
HOW does tattoo removal feel? Is it painful?
- It can be uncomfortable and a similar sensation to hot bacon grease popping on your skin. The topical numbing cream is applied to help combat the uncomfortable and hot sensation.
- You can also ice the tattoo site at home prior to removal and afterwards.
WHAT can I expect immediately after laser treatment?
- Frosting can often occur, which is a whitening appearance over the tattoo. This is a natural response to the tattoo removal process, indicating that the laser is penetrating the ink effectively.
- Mild swelling and redness
- After treatment, Aquaphor and a bandage is applied to the site.
- DO keep the area covered for the next 24 hours. If the tattoo is located on an area where it can be consistently rubbed against clothing, it is encouraged to keep it covered until healed.
- If the tattoo removal was performed on extremities, DO elevate the extremity after treatment.
- DO keep the area dry, covered, and clean.
- DO avoid the sun
- DON’T participate in physical activity for 48 hours after treatment
- DON’T go in pools, hot tubs, or baths until skin has healed after treatment
HOW long does each treatment take?
- Treatment varies depending on the size of tattoo. However, most treatments are completed in under a minute!
WHO is NOT a candidate for tattoo removal?
- If you have a red ink allergy
- If you have history of seizures
- If you have a white, pink, or salicylic-treated tattoo
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding
- If you have taken Accutane in the last 6 months
- If you have taken antibiotics in the last 2 weeks
Ready to book a free consultation? Head here!